Blog Response to Aug. 17
I found the first set of lectures very interesting. I enjoyed how I was able to learn something new to get my mind back in the swing of things without having to fully jump into learning the course material right away. Specifically, what I learned was the science behind hand-washing. It never occurred to me that there was such a detrimental effect that took place before Dr. Semmelweis finally realized and hypothesized that having dirty hands was the root of such a high maternal death rate. After learning about this, it made me wonder who else in history had similar realizations and normalized behaviors we do habitually today, such as brushing our teeth.
Another part of the lectures I found interesting, and surprisingly related to, were the different mindsets we have in relation to learning. Throughout high school I always considered myself to be more of a “math person” compared to any other subject. With wanting to go to dental hygiene school, I knew my main focus in college would be science. Because of this, I have actively practiced the three primary components of successful learning without even realizing I was doing so.
Finally, I had never heard of the Pomodoro Technique, but I really enjoyed learning about it. I find myself procrastinating often, so I like the idea of working hard at something, giving myself a little break, then going back to work. I am definitely going to try this technique and see how well it works for me.
Hi Jessica! I also found the story of hand washing very interesting! It is kind of crazy to think that doctors didn't wash their hands before surgery because it is such a routine requirement now. It was also surprising to learn how doctors and the scientific community resisted and did not believe the benefits of hand washing at first. I had also never heard of the Pomodoro Technique! I am hoping this technique will help me improve my study habits this year. I hope you have a great semester!
ReplyDeleteHello Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your takes on the first lecture because I had many of the same thoughts. I never had seen or known much about how it was our hand-washing techniques came about but it was extremely shocking. I feel like we take much of our knowledge for granted because to imagine someone going from a live autopsy to birthing a child without even thinking about washing their hands is insane!
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI also had never heard of the pomodoro technique until these lectures but I agree with you that it might be useful to give it the ole college try. I also really like how you included your personal experience in regards to mindsets.
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you on our responses to normalized behaviors. The story about Dr. Semmelweis is a good reminder to always questioning why our "normal behaviors" are normal, and if any changes need to take place.
Also, you should definitely give the Pomodoro technique a try! I've been using it for a couple years and it's been really helpful against my procrastination. I have an app on my computer called "Be Focused" that makes it really easy to do, and it tracks how much time I spend studying for each subject so that's cool to look at.
Hey Jessica!
ReplyDeleteYou opened my mind, I never even thought about how the brushing of teeth came to be... EWW! It is crazy how something so common today was rare and caused so much trouble in the past. I enjoyed math in high school myself as well, however, I hate it in college! I miss the algebra aspect of everything to be honest, simpler times.. lol. This technique should definitely help you in your studies! Its already helping me out.
(Mine have been posting anonymously so just in case. - Catalina Perez)