Blog Response to Aug. 24

     I was not aware that evolution occurs on both macro and micro scales. It does make sense that the two scales are intertwined though, because if they weren’t, all of the evolutionary history would be completely random and wouldn’t be traceable. The part I do wonder about, however, is at what point does the evolution of an organism transition from micro to macro. I understand microevolution is what is happening “now,” but how long is actually considered “now” and when does it become macroevolution?


    In the video with Grant Ernhart, I was completely blown away by the visuals he used. It is easy to think about how long the Earth has been alive, but seeing it on that scale, I realized I truly had no idea. The biggest thing that surprised me was how long photosynthesis had been taking place with no other real life-forms. Also, what an absolute “short” period of time that humans have been around. I would love to learn more in depth about how after billions of years, humans actually came to be.



    The part of the EvolutionTalk I found interesting was where they explained the idea that everyone is just living, trying to find a mate and that all of our genes are just along for the ride. This is an interesting take on the idea because I feel as though it is completely true for humans and some animals, but for other species, most of their life really is them trying to survive. I also enjoyed their switch up on the term from “survival of the fittest” to “survival of the good-enough.”


Comments

  1. Hello Jessica,

    First of all I found your initial thoughts on when does microevolution turn to macroevolution extremely clever. This is something that didn't even cross my mind but now that it has its hard not to wonder. I would also have to agree with how crazy cool it was seeing a physical scale of time and how it relates to us. I had always known our time here on earth isn't much in comparison to the grand scheme of things but seeing how small it is physically only reinforced that thought! I would also agree with liking EvolutionTalk simply because of how different it was in comparison to all the other learning materials we have looked at!

    With best regards, Carlos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Response to Aug. 31

Blog Response to Aug. 17

Blog Response to Oct. 15