Blog Response to Aug. 31
The variation that I found most interesting is the hybridization of species. As young scientists, most of what we learn relates to the fact that a species is its own, and cannot cross breed with other species. Because of this, when I think of hybrid species, I tend to think of hybrids as fictional creatures shown on Vampire Diaries or Teen Wolf. However, hybrid species are in fact real and are nothing like the powerful creatures we see on shows.
Hybridization of a species occurs when two different species mate to form a completely new species, who is reproductively isolation from those two parent species. An example of this are the Heliconius butterflies. Researchers believe there are at least 39 known species of Heliconius species, meaning they are able to interbreed to create brand new species.
Shown above are a few different species of the same Heliconius genus of butterflies. As you can tell, they are all similar in wing shape, but their patterns are quite different.

Hey Jessica, I liked your comparison to the fictional hybrid species. Haha I wish they were as powerful in real life as they are on TV. Also nice example with those butterflies! It's so cool that they can just keep branching out to make so many different patterns!
ReplyDeleteHi, Jessica!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I also tend to think of hybrid species as weird cross breeds of common animals to create something completely random and, usually, fictional. Those butterflies are really fascinating and beautiful! It's wild to think that there are 39 species of these butterflies that can interbreed. That's mind blowing!
Hello, I also enjoyed your blog post. I'm not sure what else I can say that the other two individuals here have not. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThis is a clear and succinct explanation of hybridization with a relation to what you'd previously thought of when you thought of hybrids. This is very well done! I also very much appreciate that you discussed Heliconius butterflies and their extensive hybridization. Is this a system you were familiar with previously?
ReplyDeleteHey Jessica!
ReplyDeleteThis is such a clear and concise explanation and I really enjoyed relearning hybridization. I needed a little refresher and you gave me a great one. Enjoy the rest or the semester!
Hello Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI love how you compared the hybridization of species to shows like Teen Wolf and Vampire Diaries. You did a great job of explaining hybridization and made it very easy to understand. Great job!!
Hi Jessica!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your comparisons to those shows! Your explanation and example of hybridization were done very well and were very easy to understand. Good job!
Peyton
Hi Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI like how you chose butterflies for hybridization and related it to tv shows. I did not know that some hybrids could still bred so that was interesting to learn. I liked your blog and hope to see more in the semester!
Hey Jessica, I really enjoyed your explanation and example of the butterflies. This is so cool, I had never heard of them before! You made the explanation simple and sweet. I will be looking more into these cool insects!
ReplyDelete