Blog Response to Oct. 8
There are three types of selection to be discussed today.
1. Directional Selection
This occurs when the extreme phenotype is favored over other phenotypes, causing the allele frequency to shift over time in the direction of that phenotype. In the example drawn, the shark is looking for a tasty dinner. He swims over by a coral reef where a red fish and an orange & purple fish are trying to hide from him. In this case, the red fish blends in well enough to survive, while the orange & purple fish is not hidden enough and will be the shark's dinner. Therefore, the phenotypic frequency is shifted toward the population of the red fish.

3. Disruptive Selection
Disruptive selection occurs when either phenotypic extreme is favored, rather than the average phenotypic frequency. Therefore, the variance of the trait increases and the population is divided into two distinct groups.



I like the images you added and the examples used for the different types of selection. That definitely helps me understand it more. I think we are also supposed to include positive and negative frequency dependent selection in our blog posts! I could be wrong but I think she also covered those in the lectures as well.
ReplyDelete