Blog Response to Nov. 12

I understand what sexual selection is and how it works, but one thing that confused me was how can some species sexually select for such unique traits when they were not previously selected for in previous generations? Obviously traits being selected for can change over time due to natural selection, but it would be interesting to know how those features contribute/benefit that species.


Once concept discussed that I personally found interesting, was that scientists do not have a pin-pointed reason for why females prefer a specific trait of males over another. I learned in physiology that pheromones play a big part in human's sexual selection, but otherwise this topic is still being debated. Scientists do know, however, that a female's preference leads to direct or indirect benefits from the male to her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Response to Aug. 31

Blog Response to Aug. 17

Blog Response to Oct. 15